I’ve been the world’s worst blogger, haven’t I? The thing is, life just got so busy. Increasingly, Instagram’s speed and snappiness makes it my platform of choice for keeping you all up-to-date with the attic’s goings-on. Now, I’m not going to spend all this post apologising for what I haven’t been writing, but rather get to sharing the cool thing that I came here to share with you all. So let’s move on…but, I am going to try to blog a bit more, maybe even attempt a site update…watch this space. Anyway, tah-dah!
A few months back, Matthew, AKA the insanely talented Mister Domestic, invited me to be part on his blog party for his latest fabric collection for Art Gallery Fabrics, Aura. I’ve been following Matthew for a long time, so I knew that whatever had his name on it was sure to be something that I wanted to be involved in. His work is amazing and his colour palette make my eyes smile. This collection was inspired by a trip to Hawaii that Matthew took with his daughter. I couldn’t wait to get started!
The fist thing was to curate the fabric I was going to use for my project. I picked all my favourite prints from the collection before mixing in some Art Gallery Pure Elements. Those colours are so rich and saturated that the task was not an easy one! I also had some oddments of Art Gallery denim which I threw into the mix. Aren’t they pretty all hanging out together?
It was obvious I was going to make something using improvised techniques, so I settled on an old favourite, a wonky cross quilt, to really make the colours and prints sing. This type of block is great for getting into a rhythm and loosing yourself in the piecing. I’ve made quite a few of this type of quilt and never bore of the process. Here’s what the blocks looked like as I played with the layout. Again, this arranging and putting together of the quilt jigsaw is so enjoyable.
Piecing the top was a quick process. I used my go-to Aurifil thread for joining and quilting, favouring an all over zigzag that’s becoming quite at home in my free motion repertoire. The quilt is approximately 35″ square and I intend to pass it onto to my latest nephew, born at the start of the year. I can’t wait to get some photographs of him chilling out on it! Luckily, on the day I came to photograph the finished quilt for this post, the sun was shining and we had one of the bluest skys I think I’ve ever seen in Wales. It must have been that Hawaiian vibe rubbing off!
Thank you Matthew for asking me to be a part of celebrating this great collection. Be sure to check out all the other amazing makers that are part of this party. There are some thirty-odd projects to look out for, so plenty to inspire you all. Thanks for stopping by.
- Monday February 11: Amanda Woodruff of A Crafty Fox
- Tuesday February 12: Kylie Gersekowski of Little Moo Designs
- Wednesday February 13: Sharon Holland of Sharon Holland Designs
- Thursday February 14: Kim Niedzwiecki of Go Go Kim
- Saturday February 16: Sarah Maxwell of Fearless with Fabric
- Sunday February 17: Natalie Santini of Hungry Hippie Sews
- Monday February 18: Carolina Moore of Always Expect Moore
- Tuesday February 19: Isabelle Selak of South Bay Bella Studio
- Wednesday February 20: Elizabeth Chappell of Quilters’ Candy
- February 21-24: Intermission
- Monday February 25: Tara Curtis of Wefty Needle
- Tuesday February 26: Monica Tetteh of That’s Sew Monica
- Wednesday February 27: Nicholas Ball of Quilts from the Attic
- Thursday February 28: Lucy Brennan of Charm About You
- Friday March 1: Robbin Flockhart of Sew Farm Quilter
- Saturday March 2: Evie Jespersen of EV Quilts
- Sunday March 3: Kelly Liddle of Jeliquilts
- Monday March 4: Maureen Cracknell of Maureen Cracknell Handmade
- Tuesday March 5: HollyAnne Knight of String and Story
- Wednesday March 6: Mimi Goodwin of Mimi G Style
- Thursday March 7: Angela Wolf of Fashion Sewing with Angela Wolf
- Friday March 8: Kitty Wilkin of Night Quilter
- Saturday March 9: Sharon Burgess of Lilabelle Lane Creations
- Sunday March 10: Emily Dennis of Quilty Love
- Monday March 11: Sheri Cifaldi-Morrill of Whole Circle Studio
- Tuesday March 12: Elina Temmes of Elina Temmes
- Wednesday March 13: Jennifer Strauser of Dizzy Quilter
- Thursday March 14: Saija Kiiskinen of Saija Kiiskinen
- Friday March 15: Brittany Jones of Brittany J Jones
- Saturday March 16: Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth
- Sunday March 17: Kim Niedzwiecki of Go Go Kim
- Monday March 18: Sharon McConnell of Color Girl Quilts