It’s officially October, my favorite month, and this latest finish is woefully late. You see, back in June a work colleague and his wife brought home their newborn son. Another colleague and I decided it would be a nice gesture to make a baby quilt for them. We had a collection and went shopping. My friend is a student of fashion design and has similar tastes to me when it comes to fabrics. We like the same colours and designs so the whole process was blissfully easy. It’s not the first time we’ve collaborated on a project, having made a graduation quilt a few years earlier, and it was fun to teach her some new things, like half square triangles.
We chose a simple chevron layout, alternating the rows between light and dark fabrics. We knew the sex of the baby before we pulled fabric, but wanted to stay away from the traditional blue palette, instead opting for something a bit more modern. We chose low volume prints, including some Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander, paired with mustards and blacks. We used a variety of fabrics including some Robert Kauffman Essex linen and some double gauze. This was my first time sewing with some Cotton and Steel basics. They are so much nicer in person! Some might think black an unusual choice for a baby quilt, but we were both sold and really like the bold statement it makes. We pieced the top together in a day before I took it home to finish.
With a simple layout we opted for some equally simple quilting, wavy lines across the entire quilt top. The quilting was a joy to do and I really dig the texture this type gives. The backing was some Ikea Britten print that I had in my stash, whilst the solid black binding continues the simple feel of the quilt. This was the first time I’ve cut my binding strips two inches wide. I really like the look of a skinny binding and I think this works better than my usual two and a quarter-inch strips. The quilt finishes at 37″ square.
We’re both really pleased with how this one turned out and can’t wait to gift it, even if it is a little late!