I finally got around to photographing this quilt today. I actually finished it about 2 weeks ago but have been waiting to take it to a friends allotment plot. I couldn’t think of a more suitable location for a photo shoot. After a couple of false starts we finally managed to meet up today and get the job done. Thankfully, the storm held off just long enough for me to get my lens cap back on!
I loved making these blocks and am so pleased with how they’ve turned out. The whole process was improvisational (recently, my mot de jour) and you can find out more about them in this post. I didn’t really have a finished product in mind when I started but love where the creative process has taken me. Most of these blocks started life as sketches on the back of receipts and the whole journey was, aptly, an organic one.
After I finished the top I wanted the quilting to really emphasise the earthy nature of the quilt. For the backing I chose a seeded, natural cotton that has been in the stash for a while. Thankfully I bought a lot of it, which is good as I can see it becoming the back to many more quilts like this. I chose dense matchstick quiting in a white, cream and tan variegated thread. The texture is amazing and I can’t help but be reminded of onion layers when I look at the back.
I was stumped on the binding for a good few days. At first I was drawn to the colours of the vegetables, but after somebody suggested they should remain the main players and the binding shouldn’t compete with them, I opted for an old, go-to binding; a Carolyn Friedlander crosshatch, this time in grey. Subtle, but still nice to look at.
My head is already full of ideas for more ways to explore this type of piecing and now, when I’m in the supermarket, I’m lingering just a little longer in the produce aisle!